- Half full/half empty: Being up with a teething baby who eventually becomes a sleeping baby curled up in your arms
- Afore mentioned baby will be one next week. Time flies when you are having fun and sleep deprived
- Being able to help with the distribution of ashes was a great honor and blessing
- That said, I still don't fully understand why it is often the most heavily attend Mass for most parishes, Christmas, sure. Easter, of course. But Ash Wednesday??
- John 12:46, 'I have come as Light into the world, so that everyone who believes in Me will not remain in darkness' A wonderful reminder for weeks when it feels as if the sun will never come out
- Plans for the weekend: Trip to Richmond to celebrate family birthdays
- I think I actually got the icon to link, cool!
Friday, February 27, 2009
Wednesday, February 25, 2009
I'm pleased to have a plan in place for lent, 40 day journey with Madeleine L'Engle as a devotional, and a recommitment to live with intention. I'm so aware of how limited my free time is, so spending it on good books, interesting movies or TV shows rather than simply turning on the TV to see what is on. Putting good food into my body means thinking ahead and bringing good food into the house.
Giving up, giving back and giving in: So much of what is on my mind and in my heart is giving up control and trusting completely in the good of loving my family without limits and without complaint.
So let the journey begin!
Friday, February 20, 2009
Okay having been tagged by Mindy of Sweetness in the Small Stuff, this Friday's quick takes will be odd and interesting things about me
1. I have a slight hearing deficient which makes hearing the difference between words like merry/marry or carrie/kerry/carry difficult so I often need to use someone's last name so that my other half knows who I'm talking about
2. I love the music of John Denver and Peter, Paul & Mary
3. One of the best concerts I have ever attended was an outdoor concert of Judy Colllins with my mom
4. When asked on a college application 'If I could spend the evening with anyone living, dead or fictional who would it be?' I wrote about Anne Shirley of the Anne of Green Gables series
5. I struggle with 'winter blues' but watching my little one learn to walk and other wonders is definitely helping this February
6. My favorite all-time show is The Waltons
7. Being half Belgian, firmly believe the best chocolate and beer come from there
Okay, I tag: Amy and Carey
Monday, February 16, 2009
Sixteen years ago on February 13th I invited my husband to a party my roommate was giving for her boyfriend's birthday, him and a few other church friends. The feelings were new so we were both starting off by inviting each other to group events, but in retrospect this was the beginning of us as couple.
Over the years I have had the blessing of watching him grow professionally from a student,to resident, fellow, to now being a gifted physician to his patients and teacher to his students. And personally uncle, husband, AND now father.
So thankful for the blessing of this wonderful person to share life's journey with.
Thursday, February 12, 2009
1. Actually completed a couple of scrapbooking pages, still convinced that I'm doing it all wrong
but oh well
2. Got together with my 'little sister' this week and have a date planned for next week. She is doing amazing and the scheduling difficulty is as often about her crazy schedule as mine, but continuing to be a mentor, and a good influence in her life is so important to me
Friday, February 6, 2009
- After hearing about the sudden death of Michael Dubruiel's and that of the eight year old daughter of a friend of my husband. Time is precious and so are the people in our lives
- Speaking of focusing on the present: I'm pretty much done with being cold, dressing a baby in many layers and then listening to her grump as I try and fold her into her carseat...however snow is beautiful, firelight is lovely and smells amazing. and spring will come in its own good time.
- Opting to be positive in my thoughts and my actions with Charlie is still a struggle amid sleepless nights, and daily stress. But I can see grace growing and strengthening my marriage
- Quote for the week: Trust in the Lord, and do good; Dwell in the land, and feed on His faithfulness. Delight yourself also in the Lord, and He shall give you the desires of the heart. Psalm 37: 3-4
- Having sat down to start working on E.'s scrapbook, I tripping on a desire to do it perfectly and now must make sure that does not mean not doing it at all
- Looking back on the past year, what memories do I want to hold on to, what will she enjoy seeing when she is old enough to look and enjoy
- Weekend plans, a friend's baby shower and time with family
Tuesday, February 3, 2009
This weekend Elisabeth demonstrated her newly found skill of balancing. She can now stand independently for several seconds, and my mom even convinced her to try and walk to her daddy. Two very hesitant steps, which led to great excitement on our behalf and great determination to reach out for support on hers ( we could not convince her to try again ). But standing she liked and would happily attempt.
I'm also discovering how to find balance. Seeking to find the time for prayer and devotion, a struggle since her birth, has been so richly reward this week I'm almost embarrassed it was ever an issue. I happened upon 3 minute retreats (icon on the sidebar) and friend pointed out 'sacred spaces.ie' as another option on the web.
I still hope to make the time to read a chapter in a devotional, or write in my prayer journal more often, but am also grateful beyond words for the chance to parent this wonderful child and am open to the changes needed to balance the many blessing in my life