Monday, June 29, 2009
Friday, June 26, 2009
- Have begun to get language explosion around here with new words almost every few days so I thought I would work on manners too. Whenever she would pull on my legs and say 'Up' I would answer 'Up please' and it seems to be working. The 'please' is not very clear but there is definitely now a word of some sort coming after 'UP'
- The weather finally gave us a break this week and a couple days of sun. Ventured out to the playground and check out a local arboretum which was holding a tree-house exhibit.
- Don't think Elisabeth fully appreciated the work that went into constructing the tree-houses we saw however the stairs got raves. We are very much into stairs right now!
- Last date night included a wonderful beef fried rice and watching Mama Mia which I heartily recommend. Sometimes there is nothing better than a joyous and fun-filled musical. I'm still humming the tunes almost a week later.
- When choosing a spouse there are the big things you look for; compatibility, intelligence, a sense of humor, and feeling mutual respect and attraction. Then there are the happy surprises!! Marrying someone who likes to cook definitely has its benefits :-)
- Received word this week of two lovely baby girls born to friends of mine, this combined with celebrating this weekend the high school graduation of a cousin (by marriage) I have had the great privilege of knowing since she was two years old has me thinking about the passage of time. 'The Circle Game' is one of my favorite songs and as I get older its bittersweet message rings truer and truer.
- This weekend traveling to New Jersey to honor and celebrate with the graduate!
Thursday, June 25, 2009
- Went with couple of friends to a local arboretum yesterday. Am very much a homebody, but with all the rain we have had recently wanted to make the most of some nice weather and explore some of the parks local to us. (we did get rained on, but only a little.)
- Have now for three Saturdays in a row, made dinner together with Charlie to be enjoyed as we watch a movie.
- With said husband's help got upstairs bathroom deep cleaned and tub re-caulked.
Monday, June 22, 2009
- This week finds me again holding at the same weight, while I am grateful that the current weight loss appears real and to be holding but there is 2-3 more pounds to my initial goal so I have been gathering tips from friends and other weight loss buddies:
- Change some little thing somewhere, different breakfast or mid-afternoon snack. If you have been doing the same activity try changing it a bit. Not necessarily more just different.
- If that does not wake up your metabolism then adding more intensity might be needed. Jog occasionally during your walk. Increase the incline on a treadmill. Add more weight during strength training.
- Re-measure portions just to check for portion creep.
Friday, June 19, 2009
Thursday, June 18, 2009
- Completed my first book review for the Catholic Company. Which is also a success of being less afraid to try new things.
- Got our upstairs completely vacumned, and I have high hopes for the downstairs this weekend
- Used the grill for the first time this summer, hoping getting into the habit early will provide many tasty dinners.
What are your small (or not so small) successes this week? Share them over at Faith & Family Live!
Tuesday, June 16, 2009
Having recently been given the privilege of becoming a reviewer for The Catholic Company, I read Saint Thomas Aquinas by Raissa Maritain, a biography translated into English by Julie Kernan. Beginning with Saint Thomas Aquinas's childhood, education and religious formation, the book follows his path up to and beyond his death, discussing also process of his canonization, highlighting some of his major works of literature, the Office of the Blessed Sacrament, and the Summa Theologica.
While I enjoyed the book I'm not sure what the age target was: the vocabulary is a little difficult but I wonder if a teenager would find the tone a little condescending. One note of caution to parents: while most concepts are well explained or defined, the tradition of bodily relics (namely, in which two shrines his arms may be found) is unexpectedly raised without much context. This may be a new and uncomfortable concept to some children. Overall the book is a nice overview of St. Thomas's life and work, and perhaps would work well as story to be read with your child, or a jumping off point for a confirmation student wanting to research Saint Thomas.
Friday, June 12, 2009
- April showers continued into May and now June: the flower beds are green and blooming from what I can see running to the car.
- Still working my way through 'Orthodoxy', it is one of the those books that has been recommended to me several times so I push on but so far it has not grabbed me
- Attended the 8th grade graduation ceremony for my 'little sister' and her twin. We were matched at the beginning of her 6th grade year. Having watched her grow and mature through the tween years I am excited for what the high school years will bring.
- Have finished the first book I am to review for the Catholic Book Company: now I just have to write the review and believe I have something to say that someone would be interested in.
- Elisabeth has added 'up' to her vocabulary and uses it to express her want to be picked up and carried, or released from high chair, stroller or crib.
- Precious moment: Recently she spontaneously laid down by our patio doors and when I got down next to her, she started pointing out the moving clouds to me and babbling away (about the sky I guess, my understanding of infant babble is pretty poor).
- Weekend plans: Shopping and chores around the house, giving thanks for being together.
Wednesday, June 10, 2009
Monday, June 8, 2009
Friday, June 5, 2009
- Elisabeth and I enjoy a wonderful lunch yesterday with a friend and her two month old daughter. Her daughter is another March baby so as we eat our delicious sandwiches we together marveled at what a difference a year makes. Reassurance for one mother that the colicky newborn stage does pass and another opportunity for the other (me) to take a moment and recall the many awesome accomplishments of the past year.
- To celebrating her fifteenth month (and demonstrating an interest in scribbling) we gave Elisabeth the Crayola beginner markers and coloring book. She had a blast, I eventually got the stray marks out of the carpet. We put them away for awhile.
- Great week for lunches, a good friend from St Louis visited and we again enjoyed the fact that despite not seeing each other for a year conversation flowed and warmth was felt.
- I give thanks for the wonderful friendships who made during college and graduate school years, have remained and endured into the marriage and parenting years.
- Had been on the fence about teaching again this fall but hearing the positive impact I had from former students after their graduation ceremony and watching E. play with other kids at the playground has me feeling much more comfortable about the idea.
- June has brought many thunderstorms so far and our first opportunity to cuddle a sleepy baby who did not quite understand it all but decided that the lights and sounds were better enjoyed from mommy and daddy's bed.
- Going to a local strawberry festival tomorrow with friends. Hoping for no rain and a daughter not intent in eating every berry she can reach.
Thursday, June 4, 2009
- Managed to execute the sweaters for shorts and t-shirts swap with a minimal amount of mess, thanks in part to some new storage bins Charlie pick up.
- Put together a nice donation pile of clothes, which also inspired me to go through E's toy box and put away or pass forward most of her infant toys.
- Acknowledging that the five plan for this house is not happening (we will be in the house 7 yrs in July with no plans to move) have started to fix the little things that bugged us but felt we could live with. A screen door for the front has been ordered, kitchen faucet replaced and we have started investigating countertops for the kitchen.
- A loving husband to share the good times with and who makes the rough times a little less rough.
- A happy, healthy daughter who loves to explore her world and cuddle with me
- Wonderful friends who support and encourage me from afar and when we can get together shares delicious food and great conversation
- I am forgiven and loved!
Wednesday, June 3, 2009
Monday, June 1, 2009
- New month, new week, same body! Well almost the same, the scale rewarded my commitment to reduce the amount of refined sugar in my diet by a loss of three pounds. With the help of my local farmers market and plans to go strawberry picking next weekend, I am very hopeful that the plan to focus on healthier sweets is off and running
- I am a terrible water drinker, I just really don't enjoy the taste and so either don't drink enough during the day or I drink soda. BUT I believe I have found my drink for the summer, Seltzer with a good splash of lemonade, mostly water but enough flavor to keep me interested.
- Like my exercise plan, though may try to fit in some pilate to add some variety to the abdominal part.