Wednesday, May 21, 2014

WWRW: Something Other Than God


Linking up over at Housewifespice to share what I've been reading:


Something Other Than God by Jennifer Fulwiler:

I knew from following Jennifer's blog what a wonderful and witty writer she was, but still this book took me by surprise.  It is so much more than just her conversion story; it is a story of coming of age and grappling with the major questions you face as you decide who you are and what you will value in life.  Jennifer graciously takes us on her journey starting in 5th grade, as she grows up and ponders ideas of science, nature, and how belief systems affect friendships growing up.

Jennifer takes us masterfully along through college and her twenties, as she picks a career path and meets her spouse.  Most critically, we follow as her questions and growing understanding of God changes her and her husband's definitions of sucess, happiness, and love.  As she introduces us to other touchstone people in her life, ranging from her great-grandparents to jazz legends, she discusses issues of suffering, service and hope. As she starts a family and encountered health issues, she has to make hard choices which called firmly held beliefs into question.  Also interesting was reading how as a couple they both separately and together journeyed to find their way to a profound and deep faith and a life lived according to the tenets of that faith.

With a writing style that kept me engaged and kept the story moving, but never skimped on the details, Fulwiler explains how her faith in God, and living out that faith as part of the Catholic Church, answers each of her questions.  The conclusion was familiar to me as a reader of her blog, but I throughly enjoyed the journey with her, and would happily recommend it to anyone interested in stories of discernment and conversions of faith.



   I wrote this review of Something Other Than God for the free Catholic Book review program, created by Aquinas and More Catholic Goods.

             Aquinas and More is the largest on-line Catholic bookstore.

 I receive free product samples as compensation for writing reviews for Tiber River.

2 comments:

  1. Great review! I know I need to read this. I don't think I've heard anything but high praise for it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well said! I am always intrigued by couples that convert together. Amazing how the Holy Spirit works.

    ReplyDelete