Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Open Book: December '17




The Summer before the War by Helen Simonson is wonderful and her characters were so fully developed that plot twists stayed with me for weeks after I'd finished the book.  This story captures beautifully a family, and town in the English countryside in their final moments of summer warmth and innocence and as the chill of war begins to be felt.  




Call the Nurse; Memoir of the Scotish Highlands by Mary MacLeod was a fun read where MacLeod found a good balance between sharing her cases as a Visiting Nurse and the everyday life experiences of living in the Hiberian isles.  Early in the 1970's MacLeod and her husband moved with their two youngest to the top and Scotland and sought a different life with what appears to be great success. There is a sequel which I will seek out at some point in the future.


Please head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I really like that cover for The Summer Before the War. I'm going to check it out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I actually read the book to fulfill the 'book I chose because of it's cover' category in a reading challenge.

      Delete