Wednesday, March 6, 2019

Open Book ~ March '19






The Wreath by Sigrid Undset (translated by Tina Dunnally) is the first book in a trilogy about a Norwegian girl Kristin Lavransdatter set in the fourteenth century. The book follows Kristin, her family and village from her early childhood, through her teens and evolving plans for marriage.  A lovely read which looks deeply into the thoughts and emotions of a young girl coming of age, falling in love, and seeking to discern if called to marriage or cloister.  Against this main story Undset provides tons of information about the geography and customs of Norway at that time; and Dunnally's translation provides all of this information without feeling forced or dry.




The Sun is Also a Star by Nicola Yoon is a wonderful day-in-the-life story in New York where two high school seniors having a bad day meet and find the support needed to face some tough choices.  A fast paced story with just enough backstory provided for a wonderful read about what it means to be a child of immigrants.





Crossing to Safety by Wallace Stegner a slow paced lovely story of friendship as two couples reflect back on a friendship which began in their twenties and has sustained them through the decades and the Vermont camp which they have all retreated to at different points in their lives. A wonderful reflection on marriage, and the strength it brings as life events change and alter our dreams.



Introduction to the Devout Life by Saint Francis de Sales is a book which began as a correspondence with a noble young woman seeking to understand how to live a devout life while in the world which became a book when the Bishop decided that this was a wish shared by many in the laity.  The advice he provides while first offered in the seventeenth century holds true in present day; I found almost none of it dated and so very much valuable to my life and vocation.  This was a book that I deliberately paced myself to better mine and reflect on its depth and wisdom.

Please head over to Carolyn's  for more Open Book.

2 comments:

  1. Intro to the Devout life is so good! And those fiction books sound really interesting. I've read Kristin Lavransdatter before, but I think I need to pick it up again sometime so I can dive deeper into the text-when I read it a few years ago, Kristin made me so mad that, unfortunately, my frustrations with her overshadowed some of the book's other elements!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree with AnneMarie above about Introduction to the Devout Life. I've been wanting to re-read it - if I can find it around here. One of these days, I'll get around to trying Kristen Lavransdatter! Thanks for linking up!

    ReplyDelete