Usually getting settled in after vacation is a little bumpy; this time it was more like a crash landing. What with leaving early to try and make it home before the worst of the storm and then losing power for 48 hours.
But are now up and running again and will hopefully be back soon with tales of swimming and s'mores, but am now off to restock my fridge.
Kids apps which have now been truly road tested ( N.C. And Maine) and are kid tested/mom approved in our house.
1. Find them all ~ a farm game where one is prompted to find various animals in their happiest habitats. Level 1 is daytime allowing you to see and hear the animal, Level 2 is night where sound becomes your major asset. There is also a puzzle element once you have found all the animals.
2. Another Animal app ~ Photo touch Farm Animals has you identifying the requested animal, starting with three pictured ~ the number increases the more you get correct. Lisbeth started playing already knowing the names of many farm animals and through the game has learned the name for their young such as calf and foal.
3. Following off of that we discovered Photo touch Food Festival ~ which has she learning to identify many different fruits and vegetables; and perhaps being more inclined to try having met them in a new and different way.
4.My play house includes four rooms in which mom, dad and three kids live and play. Many great interactive features: in the living room you can change the CD, in the kitchen you can make and eat breakfast and then in the bathroom brush your teeth.
5. Jigsaw A-Z ~ 16 piece puzzles of words starting with each letter of the alphabet, a doable challenge for her and with 64 options, good exposure to the different sounds letters make.
6. Itsy Bitsy Spider is an interactive rendition of the song with many creatures taking part and great sound effects!
(And one for Mom)
7. Prayers app: A wonderful resource with prayers for throughout the day and the liturgical year. I appreciate that so many different saints writings are featured. Offered by the same company that has a Divine Office app.
1. I have for some time wanted to more organized and routine about praying, admired and been impressed by those who on a regular basis pray the Divine Office. I have asked for tips from my husband and others on how to start, read posts about it, and priced books and apps...
And then decided that is the deep end and I need to ease in ~ and so thanks to the Divine Office Prayer app ~ am this week praying a morning and evening prayer.
2. Having gotten tips from Parenting with Grace (thoughts and reflections about someday) have been consistently saying grace with Lisbeth before meals and bedtime for about a month now.
3. Over half-way through the devotional I'm to review
Thankful This Thursday for:
cool breezes, and a/c when its too hot
the chance to pick peaches with friends
a cook-out with friends
a husband to A-frame with
4. While on vacation, Liam initially had some relatives baffled as to how he was moving until they came to fully appreciate 'The Butt Scoot'. He has mastered moving himself in a seated position by pushing his feet into the floor and scooting forward.
5. However I think this was driving my physical therapist of a mom a little crazy given how often she would lay him on his stomach: He is now creeping in a more traditional manner
6. Squirrels keep eating all my tomatoes. A friend suggested chicken wire, any other suggestions?
7. Going peach picking this weekend ~ any favorite peach recipes??
Wednesday: After spending some time in the pool, we headed to the nearby lighthouse: Currituck Light with one of our nephews, everyone climbed well (except Liam who seemed to enjoy the ride in the Bjorn). Home for lunch and naps then a game of mini - golf, Lisbeth's first and some dip dots ice cream, more pool time, and after the kids were tucked in some hot tub time with my sisters!!
Thursday: BEACH: as in spend the morning, jumped some waves, watched the bigger cousins body surf and use their boogie boards ~ we even briefly got Lisbeth in on the wave action and Liam continued to enjoy water, reading out on the deck with the kids napped and pool
time to round out the day.
Friday: Pool time in the morning, a walk by myself during the kids naptime, and many attempts to get all the cousins looking & smiling for a picture; first at the house and then on the beach. Followed by the building of a few more sand castles, the jumping of a few more waves and then back to the house to enjoy a final seafood dinner wonderfully prepared by one of my brother-in-laws and his dad.
Saturday: Packing, loading, hugs & good-byes, last chance shopping, Dunkin breakfast and headed out. Till next time..
As some of you may have noticed this spot was rather quiet last week ~ well the reason ~ was I (and some of my favorite people) was enjoying some vacation/family time on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. A get-a-way we have now manage q-3 years three times now.
Saturday: Driving: Which all things considered went well ~ we got a later start then I had been hoping, but otherwise the kids dealt with the various beach traffic slow downs well. Thanks in part to the occasional stop to eat and run around and Mommy's iPad. Upon arrival Lisbeth quickly joined in on the cousins antics while Liam decided to take in the new surrounds and many people from the safety of Mommy's or Daddy's shoulder.
Sunday: Started with breakfast and exploring the house a bit in daylight, checking out the views from the decks and then off to Mass. During big family vacation we divided up the cooking with each smaller family taking the dinner duty one night and tonight was our night so once the kids were napping, some shopping and prep happened. A glimpse of the beach and some pool-time completed the afternoon free time ~ then preparing the tasty dinner enjoyed by all.
Monday: Nice walk on the beach in the morning introducing Lisbeth to the pleasures of collecting shells and Liam to sand & sea ~ kid approved, pool in the afternoon ~ nothing complicated, much fun! Another very tasty dinner, this one prepared by a sister's father-in-law and then some cocktail time with my sisters once the kids were tucked-in.
Tuesday: An early morning which did allow the chance to watch the sunrise over the ocean. Later in the afternoon pool time again with Lisbeth getting more confident trusting her floating suit and Liam with standing and splashing in the 'baby' pool, then some time browsing the local shops including some playground time and ice cream.