Wednesday, September 4, 2019

Open Book ~ September'19




The Guensey Literary and Potato Peel Society by Mary Ann Schaffer and Annie Barrows was as wonderful as many people had told me.  Told entirely in letter form I appreciated the many different voices the author managed to create as well as how the letters shifted in formality as characters came to know each other better.  The lead characters prove to be excellent narrators and help to keep the many minor characters straight.




Becoming by Michelle Obama was an unexpected fun read.  My mom lent her copy to me during a recent visit and told me to read it; and being a wonderfully obedient daughter I did.  Joking aside; I really enjoyed this autobiography/political memoir.  I found the writing very good, and felt Mrs Obama found a wonderful balance of explaining not only what happened in her and the President's life but some of the why and how.


The Scarlet Lion by Elizabeth Chadwick continues the story of William Marshall begun in The Greatest Knight.  In this book you see Marshall react to King Richard's death and the tumult of King John's reign; as well as challenges within the family as his children grow and seek to make their mark in the world.  I continue to really enjoy this author; especially her attention to detail and ability to made history come alive.

I also read These High Green Hills by Jan Karon which is the third installment in the Mitford Series and as lovely and as funny as the first two.


Please head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I've been wondering about the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. I thought the move was a little flat, but I'd like to try the book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the Guernsey Literary Society book! So fun. Have you read Last Christmas in Paris, by Hazel Gaynor? I loved that book (set in WWI), it kind of had a similar feel to the Guernsey book.

    ReplyDelete