Thursday, March 27, 2014

Milkshakes and Memories: 10 years later



   As I first wrote here back in 2010 it has been my habit to on the anniversary of my dad's passing to get a milkshake as a way of marking the date and remembering and so I will today.  This year is a bit more bittersweet;  wrapping my brain around the idea that it has been a decade since I saw his smile or held his hand is tough but seeing the 3 little people with whom I will share the sweet treat eases that pain; as does sharing stories and pictures both of which Lisbeth ( and to a lesser extent Liam) are beginning to take an interest in.

  In this past year I had the chance to visit a favorite beach of my dad and my brother climbed again the mountains he first climbed with our dad  ~ and so a decade later he does in a sense travel forward with us.

originally post:

In the plans for today is getting a milkshake (ideally a frappe, but those are hard to come by outside of New England), preferably coffee. You see my dad passed away March 27, 2004 and when the first anniversary came I was not sure what to do, I did not exactly want to celebrate, but marking the date was definitely in order.


So I got a coffee shake because my dad loved them, and he taught me to also. It felt right and so now every year on his birthday in September and on this day in March I get a milkshake, remember, and raise my glass to my dad.
My dad who loved to read, the ocean, and mountain climbing especially the White's in New Hampshire. Who preferred classical music but also introduced me to The Weavers, Peter, Paul and Mary, and Beyond the Fringe.
So probably I can convince Elisabeth to join me in a milkshake and someday when she is older I will tell her why we are having one on this day and who her grandfather was

No comments:

Post a Comment