Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Open Book on Wednesday ~ March 2nd






Brideshead Revisited by Evelyn Waugh: A story of England 'between the wars' and one mans connection with a Catholic family. Charles Ryder meets Sebastian Flyte at Oxford and spends the next twenty years entangled with one member or another of the family.  It is beautifully written both in description and dialogue but overall was a bit too cynical for me.  I find it interesting that it was apparently written shortly after Waugh's conversion to Catholicism as the faith is overall not presented in a very positive light. Leaving me to wonder if he was perhaps working through some ambivalence


These Old Shades by Georgette Heyer: As any reader of this blog knows I've been a fan of Heyer for several years but for whatever reason this book had not come my way.  Having now read it I can see why it is credited with launching the author. It is wonderful; filled with her usual mix of biting humor, outrageous supporting characters and plenty of misdirection. Set in the Georgian period, about twenty years before the Regency she often writes of, it was interesting to see the ease with travel between England and France you don't see in later books due to the Napoleonic War.

Screw-tape Letters by C.S. Lewis: this is my current read/nearly done book. Had heard about this book of letters from senior demon Screwtape to his young nephew Wormtape for many years and it is as fun and weird as I expected. It took a bit of time to get use to the bad is good, the Enemy is Jesus plot line but have really enjoyed this book and am glad I decided to read it this Lent.




All three fulfill categories of the Modern Mrs.Darcy challenge this year.  Old Shades was written before I was born. I'm not sure which of Brideshead or Screwtape I was more intimidated by and as I wanted to read them both I'm considering both of those categories done and not worrying by which book.

Now please head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I'd heard so much about how wonderful Brideshead Revisited was before I read it, but it's not one of my favorites. The Screwtape Letters is something I should revisit. I listened to it on audiobook ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, there! Just discovered you through the link-up!
    I'm intimidated by Brideshead, too, mostly because I know so many people who either love it or hate it--once I read it, I'll have to have an opinion. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooo thanks for reminding that I should read the Screwtape Letters! ::adds to library hold list::

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've thought of reading Brideshead Revisited a number of times, but wasn't sure I'd like it.

    The Screwtape Letters, on the other hand...that one is a must-read book, in my opinion. And I've probably read it five times over the years. I read once that c.s. lewis found the experience of writing from the perspective of the devils very disturbing and it took a lot out of him. I can imagine! But boy, does that book ever make you think about sin, and how easy it is to fall into patterns that lead us away from God.

    ReplyDelete