Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Open Book ~ May 2016





O Pioneers by Willa Cather was my pick for the category "a book I should I have read in high school"  in this year's Modern Mrs Darcy reading challenge ~ and I'm so glad I did.


Cather's story of a Swedish family seeking to make a go of homesteading on the Nebraska prairies led by the level headed daughter after their father's death is lovely; filled with successes and failures, of people being kind to each other and people not. The writing is compelling and draws you in but doesn't overwhelm you as the various characters make their revelations slowly and with due deliberation.

While currently my TBR list is long I am now curious about this author's other works and will no doubt be back before too long.

Please now head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! I read My Antonia by Willa Cather in college and loved it. I keep meaning to try some of her others but haven't yet. I'm going to add it on Goodreads so I don't forget about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could put this on my list of should-have-read-earlier books, too! I don't think I've read any Willa Cather--and I used to teach American Literature to high school students! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just posted about reading yesterday!
    Thanks for the suggestions. : )
    Have a cozy day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did read that, but it was a long time ago in school, and I didn't like it. Now that I'm older, you're giving me a reason to maybe give it another shot. I'm currently in the middle of a different one that fits this category: "To Kill a Mockingbird".

    ReplyDelete