Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Open Book ~ May '19





Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton while billed as Apologetics reads much more like a conversion story.   Chesterton seeking a philosophy to live by looks at the logic and framework of the leading movements of the time (turn of the century England) and found them all lacking when compared to Christianity. While I at times found his wit too sarcastic for me I overall enjoyed the book and found it to be a worthy read.


Untangled; Guiding Teenage Girls through the Seven Transitions to Adulthood by Lisa Damour is a straight-forward, accessible overview of the challenges Damour (a school psychologist and mother of daughters) have identified over her years of work and research. Broken down into what she describes as seven developmental milestones; Damour provides insight into what the young woman might be feeling and how best parents can support their daughters and help them make the different transitions towards adulthood.





Edmund Campion by Evelyn Waugh is a wonderful hagiography of the Saint; beginning in his years at Oxford and follows his faith journey in Elizabethan England.  Beginning with his scholarly work and crisis of faith as he discerns the priesthood we see the evolution as he moves to Europe and ultimately joins the Society of Jesus. Waugh in addition to providing biographical information of Campion does an excellent job of exploring and explaining the culture of Catholics in Queen Elizabeth I 's England. I also appreciated how Campion's own writings are quoted throughout.


Please head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book.

2 comments:

  1. What a great mix of books! Thanks for linking up! I'd like to re-read Orthodoxy - if I can find it in my house! A nice, short read. And my familiarity with Waugh is limited to Brideshead Revisited, so this sound interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Chesterton is wonderful, but I think I've mostly read bits and pieces of his stuff, mainly mysteries. I definitely need to read Orthodoxy! I've read a couple books by Waugh but not that one-it sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete