Wednesday, December 4, 2019

Open Book ~ December '19




    As the year winds down I'm focused on finishing up the bigger books I chose for the different reading challenges I'm joining this year.


She-Wolves by Helen Castor is fascinating look at English history after William I when his granddaughter Empress Matilda tried and failed to ascend the throne and what changed and evolved in England and France by 1553 when first Queen Mary and then Queen Elizabeth managed to rule and reign in their own name.  Connecting the dots the author also profiles Eleanor of the Aquitaine, Isabella of France, and Margaret Anjou; women who ruled as the mother or wife of the monarch.  An approachable book that balances well sharing these women's biographies and analysis of the psychology of the times regarding 'the weaker sex'; also changes in military strategies and the politics regarding France, Germany and Rome.

Please head over to Carolyn's for more Open Book.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for linking up! It's crunch time for the reading challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds really interesting! I honestly can't remember much of the complexities of English history that I learned in high school, so I'll have to add this to my list.

    ReplyDelete