Friday, May 29, 2020

Quick Takes #289: As My Remote Schoolhouse closes for the summer




  1. Today is the last day of the school year give or take returning textbooks and chrome books next week. The bigs each have papers due today; and we are all a little crispy around the edges after a week of exams and finishing final projects.
  2. That being said I am extremely proud of all of them and how they met every challenge given by their teachers really well.  I am also taking a moment to acknowledge how well I think I rose the challenge as well.  With a significant shout-out to Dr Dad who came to my rescue a few times when technology tried to get the better of me.
  3. Memories to hold on; Lisbeth and Dr Dad discussing/commiserating how to attend several Zoom meetings a day and still get your work in on time.  Morning prayer time when they would take turns leading the Morning Offering and saying the pledge. Caitlin also tried to teach me the school song with mixed results.
  4. I also had fun introducing the youngest two to some of my favorites from Grammar Rock when they were learning about conjunctions and adjectives.
  5. It was also fascinating to see their learning styles up close; for example I see a standing desk in Liam's future.  Lisbeth preferred to work on the floor in her bedroom where she could spread her papers out in a circular manner; organized chaos if you like.  She also won a few prizes for her enthusiasm in zoom meetings.  Caitlin is struggling the most with missing seeing her friends but also finished the year strong.
  6. As the many different options for the next year are discussed and given how many of them include as least part-time remote learning I'm glad to know we can do it if we need to.  But first summer ~ and summer work; but that is for another day!


Please head over to Kelly's for more 7QT's!

2 comments:

  1. It's funny how we raise our kids the same way yet they end up with different habits and preferences, study styles included. Congratulations on successfully wrapping up your school year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats! Something that may work for you in the summer, is what I se ein our neighborhood, which right now has a bunch of 'littles'. The parents are out on ether side of our narrow street chatting while the littles ride around on their bicycles - together socially, but not close to each other - seems like a good compromise. Also at times sidewalk chalk is involved - there has been some very cute and happy artwork as well.

    ReplyDelete