Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Gratitude and Freedoms



"Freedom from Fear" (left) and "Freedom from Want" are two of Norman Rockwell's "The Four Freedoms" series inspired by FDR's rousing wartime State of the Union address in 1941. Reproduced in four consecutive issues of The Saturday Evening Post in 1943, the original paintings by America's favorite illustrator toured the United States, raising over $130 million for the war effort. (Norman Rockwell Museum photos


So often the modern Thanksgiving is depicted with Norman Rockwell's picture "Freedom from Want", and while I am certainly very grateful for all the wonderful food I get to enjoy and that adequate food and water is not a worry in my life or my families; as I think about all that I am thankful for it is the other freedoms which speak even louder to me.


The Freedom to Worship publicly and without fear of recrimination.  While everyone may not agree with me and some may be rude about it,  I go to Mass without worrying that someone might see me, and I can purchase books about my beliefs, even blog about them.


Freedom from Fear: While fear is not completely absent from my life (don't really think that is possible), as I tuck my children in at night I don't worry about bombs falling, that the water I cook and feed my family with might be contaminated, or any of the other worries of those who live in war zones live with.


So as I count my blessings this week I seek to also remember the freedoms I enjoy!


Over at Virtuous Planet  check Sarah Babbs wonderful series on works of mercy

No comments:

Post a Comment