Sharing some of my favorite musicals ~ seven of them actually.
- Sound of Music (1965) While I'm glad we own the DVD and I can watch it whenever I want, I will also always cherish the childhood memories of excitement when this movie came on once a year and bedtime was suspended this one night.
- Gigi: (1958) When I introduced Charlie to Gigi he couldn't believe we watched it as kids but truly all the sexual inferences went over our heads and the music is wonderful!
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers: (1954) Still remember the first time I saw this movie and fell in love with Jane Powell and how she rides herd on Howard Keel and his six brothers
- Mary Poppins (1964) Another childhood favorite that I'm now having some much fun introducing my kids to. This was the first Beta (!!!) tape we owned and my sister's and I probably had it memorized at some point.
- Bed-knobs and Broomsticks (1971) Perhaps not technically a musical but definitely an old movie I love to watch with wonderful songs to sing and enjoy.
- The King and I:(1956) Definitely a darker movie than the others on the list and my introduction to the idea that not every movie has a happen ending. The chemistry between Yul Brenner and Deborah Kerr is subtle and substantial and the music beautiful!
- Bride and Prejudice (2004) ~ while not an old movie it was my husband's answer when I asked his favorite and since this Bollywood version of Pride and Prejudice is a lot of fun and the musical numbers are wonderful it made the cut.
Please head over to Kelly's for more Quick Takes!!