Wednesday, July 3, 2013

What We're Reading Wednesday

Linking up with Jessica of Housewifespice for What We're Reading Wednesday.

One benefit of Caitlin settling into something of a schedule is that a few days a week I can get her and Liam napping at the same time and often I'm using that time to get some chore best done with the use of both my hands done but sometimes I seize on the chance to READ!!

Two books I recently finished were;


Lord Vorpatril's Alliance: This is the latest book in the Vorkosigan Saga, with Ivan the often featured playboy cousin of Miles getting his book.  It is overall a very fun read (drags a bit in the middle) and lets you catch up with familiar characters with the fun of a shift of perspective as those usually at the periphery are now central and vice versa.  Just the right mix of adventure, intrigue, space opera and romance by me. Not sure how it would stand as a stand alone but if you have been debating about getting the latest in this series ~ Go for it!!




The Good Man: Rediscovering My Father Sargent Shriver:  A memoir written by Mark Shriver as he comes to term with his father's death and legacy.  A lovely quick read of man somewhat in the public eye and how the virtues of faith, hope and love enabled him in roles ranging from Founder/Director of the Peace Corp, Ambassador to France, and long-time husband and father to at the end of his life be regarded as 'A Good Man'.  A wonderful book about a life well lived and how he and his family dealt when Alzheimer settled in for the attack.

Please head to Housewifespice for more wonderful book suggestions.

3 comments:

  1. I like hearing that there's books about fathers where the overall impression was that he was a "good man". Such a nice change from the "my family were al crazy unhinged malcontents".

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sci Fi and Memoir! It's so nice to meet other bibliophiles who don't stick to one genre. I wouldn't mind hearing more about the Vorkosigan Saga. Would you say it's okay for seventeen year olds?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw that memoir and thought it looked interesting, good to hear it is as good as it looks!

    ReplyDelete